Four railway lines used the estuary of Lang Creek for logging from 1894 to 1923. Part of the Haslam Landscape


1923MapEastOfLangCreekGrandview12117East of Lang Creek 1894 - 1910

The railway ran from Lang Creek estuary log dump and booming grounds east to Whittall Creek, then north for 7-8 miles near Weldwood road (Duck Lake FSR3). This would have gone into the heart of the famed "J claim" old growth timber, and claim 913 north of that.

This line was built and operated 1894 -1902 by the Moodyville Sawmill Company.

"Old Curly" at logging camp up the CoastPossibly Old Curly was used here c.1995
(Curly was used "up the coast" on Moodyville operations, but no documentation proves it was in Powell River)

Then in 1902 BC Mills Timber and Trading Company (originally "Hastings Mill", Capt e. Stamp's firm) bought the Moodyville licence and worked it until c.1910.

 

1923MapWestOfLangCreek2cn-2517West of Lang Creek 1911-1919

The railway ran from Lang Creek estuary log dump and booming grounds northwest to Kelly creek, then up Zilinsky road for four miles (into the white squares on the 1923 map)

This line was built and operated 1911-1915 by the Vancouver Timber and Trading, then 1915-1919 by the Lamb Lumber Company

 1923MapWestOfLangCreek4East of Lang Creek 1913 - 1918

 Haslam Lake Timber and Logging Co. arrived in 1913 and by 1914 had 8 miles of track running aside Lang Creek to Duck lake.

 In 1916 ownership passed to the Straits Lumber Company and they extended the railway to Haslam Lake.

In 1918 they took the movable railways assets to their Nanoose Bay operation; and sold their Haslam Lake timber rights to Bloedel Welsh & Stewart, who closed the lower part of the line and connected their line to the Myrtle Rocks booming grounds.

1923MapWestOfLangCreek5West of Lang Creek 1919-1923   Brooks, Bidlake and Whittall, a cedar shake firm, re-laid narrow gauge lightweight rail on existing railbed, and used a 14 ton Davenport 0-4-0ST with six flat cars and two log cars. Maps showing rail line from the west site of the Lang Creek estuary, up Zilinsky to Hwy 101, and along 101 to Myrtle point may have been built by BBW.

 lang c2The satellite map shows the second growth cut areas on the west slope of the Smith hills (to the right of a line between "Lang Bay" and Duck Lake).